Brighter Lives for Refugees
UNHCR and the IKEA Foundation’s Brighter Lives for Refugees Campaign
For every LEDARE LED light bulb sold at IKEA stores between 1 February and 29 March 2015, the IKEA Foundation donated €1 (AUD 1.50) to UNHCR.
We are very pleased to report that the 2015 Brighter Lives for Refugees campaign raised €10.8 million to provide solar street lights, indoor solar lanterns, and other renewable energy technologies such as fuel efficient cooking stoves in UNHCR refugee camps in countries including Ethiopia, Chad, Bangladesh and Jordan.
“The lack of access to lighting and energy has a serious impact on the safety, security and education of millions of refugees worldwide, especially women and children.
We thank IKEA customers and employees for making such a meaningful contribution to bringing light and energy to the most vulnerable people on Earth,” said UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres.
There are nearly 10.5 million refugees living in UNHCR camps globally, around half of whom are children. Many of those refugees have little or no access to power or light sources which impacts on their safety and security at night and limit’s their ability to live a normal life.
Everyday activities such as going to the latrines or wash rooms at night, or collecting water or firewood for the evening meal can be difficult and unsafe without adequate lighting.
Solar lighting can impact the lives of refugees in many ways:
- Solar lanterns help girls and boys in refugee camps study after dark, improving results in school.
- Solar street lights can improve safety and security for all refugees, and specifically women and girls
- Solar street lights help improve life in a refugee camp, enabling more community gatherings and social activities.
- Solar lanterns allow refugees to continue important income-generating activities, such as weaving or sewing, long after the sun goes down.
- Solar lanterns enable refugees to run their small shops and kiosks into the evening, increasing business opportunities
Please help UNHCR provide lighting to thousands of refugees around the world by making a donation.
$25 per month can provide six homes with a solar lantern to assist children with their study
$40 per month can provide six mothers with fuel efficient cooking stove to feed their families
$115 per month can provide street lighting in a refugee camp making it a safer and secure neighbourhood